Down Payment Closing Cost Assistance Program
Purchasing your first home in the City of Buffalo? Up to $5,000 in funding, provided by the City of Buffalo, is available to first time homebuyers to assist with closing cost and down payment expenses towards the purchase of their home.
Loan funds are provided at no interest as a conditional grant. The amount provided must only be repaid if the property is sold within the five (5) year regulatory period.
Applicants must document the availability of mortgage financing as part of the application process. Each property must be generally code compliant and lead safe and must be owner occupied for a five (5) year term following the purchase.
To qualify you must…
- Be a first time homebuyer purchasing a single family, seller-occupied house within the legal limits of the City of Buffalo, New York to be owned and occupied by the purchaser
- Be purchasing a property that is in good condition, not in need of repairs and in compliance with both federal and Housing Quality Standards and City of Buffalo Housing Codes.
- Plan to occupy the house to be purchased for at least five years
- Complete a HUD certified homebuyer education class, including programs available through Belmont Housing Resources, Buffalo Urban League, and West Side Neighborhood Housing Services
- Have a household income of 80% or less of the area median income*, based on family size (see chart below)
*Household Size / Income (80% of AMI)
1 / $41,850 2 / $47,800 3 / $53,800 4 / $59,750 5 / $64,550 6 / $69,350 7 / $74,100 8 / $78,900
These income guidelines are based on 2018 numbers and are subject to change